A fine all-round performance from a confident Heywood CC under-15s side saw them ease to victory over Unsworth at Crimble.
The ground had stood up well to rain and there was no problem getting the game on, thanks again to the dedication of the club’s volunteers.
With captain Ben Thulborn winning the toss, Heywood wanted to cause Unsworth problems with the ball and this they did as they bowled them out for 80.
Matt Gibson bowled excellently on his debut for Heywood, taking 3-20, while there were also wickets for Thulborn, Morgan Kay and Billy Radcliffe.
The fielding was what stood out – despite the odd minor lapse – with Kay being involved in three run outs and taking a sharp slip catch, as did Thulborn, keeper George Wall taking a stumping and improving all the time, and Jon Southwell taking two good catches.
In reply, Kay showed growing signs of maturity in his 30 retired, and Thulborn showed his class with an unbeaten 35, including a six to bring up his retirement. Neither player lost his cool when faced with some good opening bowling and both played some lovely shots, Kay predominantly and powerfully through the leg side and Thulborn all round the wicket.
It was left to Danny James and Keelan Nugent to see their side home. James played a beautiful shot through midwicket for four to tie the scores and then a wide meant Heywood reached 81-0 for victory.
The side conducted themselves well and are showing signs of learning from the coaching of manager Bobby Cross and the fielding drills of pro Travis Townsend, among others. Victory follows on from their friendly defeat of Ramsbottom and their first league win against Littleborough.
But Unsworth were a young and inexperienced side, and Heywood have to keep up their levels and team spirit when faced with tougher teams than this.
- James And Wall Show Star Qualities In Thriller At Crimble
- Confident Under-15s Extend Unbeaten Start To Season At Clifton
- Clinical Victory For On-Song Under-15s
- Four League Wins In A Row As Under-15s Warm Up For Final
- Bowlers Set Up Victory Over Good Norden Side
- Nugent Leads Heywood Under-15s To Littleborough Victory
- Solid All-Round Effort Makes Under-18s Proud Despite Defeat
- Thulborn 50 Leads Heywood Under-15s To Another Victory
- Mills And Thulborn Pave Way For Pawson Class
- Heywood Under-18s v Unsworth, Wednesday