REPORT: Rob Morley
Heywood’s U11′s played their second game of the 2013 season at home to Middleton on Wednesday night with the weather being a little overcast and cold at Crimble, which was a shame following the great weather over the bank holiday.
Captain Ethan Harding won the toss and put Middleton into bat, who where fielding a new young team following the movement of most of last years older players up to the U13′s team.
In a changed Heywood team from the winning youngsters last week, manager Grogan elected to bowl seven of the team throughout the 20 overs,. Fair to say, it was a nervy start with the ball which settled down as the innings progressed with the best of the bowling coming from newbie D Parkinson, with finishing figures of 3 overs, 2 maidens, no runs & 2 wickets. The remainder of the bowlers also bowled well and controlled the Middleton scoring and the innings ended with 228 on the board.
On to the Heywood innings. Bearing in mind for the second week running some of the team had not played a competitive game of cricket before with a real cricket ball they came through with flying colours, both on and off the pitch.
Griffiths and Taylor led the batting chase, ending their 4 overs with 215 on the board, a good start. Next were Crompton and Parkinson, who lost a couple of wickets in their spell reducing the score down to 212 with 8 overs gone.
Brennon and Carter were next out to the wicket and did an excellent job of taking the singles and Brennon finished the 4 over spell with a flourish of runs hitting, 10 from the over.
Kaye and Henson followed on and again did well taking the quick runs – however sometimes the potential risk can outweigh the benefit. With the aid of some loose bowling and 10 runs between them. the score stood at 242 after 16 overs.
Last pair this week were captain Harding and McKenzie, who combined to raise the total to 251 from the 20 overs and therefore giving the young U11′s team their second win of the season from two matches.
Great work by all in the team and coaching staff to ensure the unbeaten run continued.
Next week sees an away trip to Radcliffe and a new adventure for most of the team.
Keep up the focus and hard work in training…
- Under-11s Off And Running With Superb Win At Unsworth
- Accurate Bowling And Powerful Batting Makes It Four Out Of Four For Under-11s
- Harding Leads From Front To Maintain Under-11s Unbeaten Run
- Under-11s Sign Off Successful Season On A High
- Under-11s Maintain Unbeaten Record In Last Over Thriller
- Under-11s Remain Top After Great Performance With Ball And In Field
- Under-11s Make It Two Out Of Two At Unsworth – UPDATED WITH PICTURES
- Under-11s Battle Hard But Slip Up At Milnrow
- Great All-Round Effort Sees Under-11s Stay Top
- Eager Thirds Make Hay At Failsworth Macedonia