REPORT- Rob Morley: Following the successful start to Sunday morning with the under-11s win against Clifton, it was time for the Heywood thirds to don the whites against Winton who we will be meeting at their place in the final of the Frank Bailey Trophy soon!
The game was obviously going to be a sighter with regards to the final and both teams where eager to take first blood on what turned out to be a sunny warm afternoon at the ‘Wood; the toss took place and was won by Heywood who decided to have a bat on the rock-hard wicket.
In the absence of Joey O’Neill this week the opening pair of Ben Thulborn and Mark Kenny started proceedings. Kenny went quickly and was replaced by keeperGeoff Abram who also decided not to stick around in the crease. At this point Heywood where 21 – 2, next to bat was P Mills who batted well along side the ever-improving Thulborn before being dismissed for 32.
Thulborn went for a patient 51 and in came Mikey Grogan who batted well and put a quick fire 46 onto the score in partnerships with Peters and Morley, and following this a great little knock by Sean Chapman of 17 ensured that Heywood had posted a competitive score of 222 all out in the 43 over.
Strong belief in the dressing was followed up by good bowling and fielding, ensuring the visitors were restricted in the first 15 overs to singles with the odd two here and there. James Mills took the first wicket followed quickly by a wicket to Chapman, the visitors then found their feet in the shape of Markey and Hulse who put together respective individual scores of 61 & 51 before both fell in quick succession to Morley and Kenny.
Following this Morley managed the next four out for only seven runs and earned a 5 for, before Pete Mills took over and cleared out the final two batters to ensure the win for the team.
Heywood 3rds 222 (Thulborn 51, P Mills 32, M Grogan 46)
Winton 3rds 172 (Morley 5-38)
- McConnell Achieves Wonderful Milestone As Thirds March On
- Thirds Cruise To Encouraging Opening Day Victory
- Mills And Thulborn Pave Way For Pawson Class
- Thulborn And Burrill Set Worsley Up, Chapman Knocks Them Down
- Bowlers Set Up Victory Over Good Norden Side
- Chapman, Thulborn Shine In Summerseat – Hunt Goes AWOL At ASDA
- Under-11s Sign Off Successful Season On A High
- Thirds Struggle As Deane And Derby Take Spoils
- Teams For The Weekend – Updated With Proper Seconds Fixture
- Byrne Weaves Magic To Grasp Victory From Jaws Of Defeat In Burton Cup Semi