The seconds finally recaptured their form with the bat with an excellent run chase at Clifton on Sunday.
It was a heartening performance as they chased down 200 at Manchester Road and put behind them the misery of the past few games that has seen them lose their position at the top of the CLL table.
And it was thanks to more of the club’s talented young players that Heywood won by seven wickets, with Simon Dawson setting the tone and Dom Fawcett and Wes Hunt picking up where he left off.
Rick Purser bowled another stingy spell to do his best to restrict Clifton, taking 2-20 off 15 overs. But the other end was slightly more profligate, although Andy Dawson bowled well for his three wickets and captain Roger Smethurst helped himself to a couple of wickets.
200 looked a big total, but Simon Dawson was having none of it and whacked a superb 49 in next to no time. When he went, Fawcett joined Hunt at the crease and the pair showed the sort of form those in the know know they are capable of.
While Hunt has had runs this season and is a first teamer in the making, it was especially pleasing to see Fawcett start to shine and his 50 bodes well for next season when he will look to progress through the ranks.
Hunt went for 57, but Fawcett – helped by young Ben Thulborn and belligerent Andy Dawson – made sure the run chase was perfectly times and finished unbeaten on 52 as Heywood reached 203-3 with five balls left.
J Unwin b Purser 11
G Griffiths c and b Purser 3
I Morris b A Dawson 80
C Royle b A Dawson 2
D Wild run out 8
S Brown b A Dawson 29
M Tye b Smethurst 12
A Toucher c and b Smethurst 8
D Hill run out 8
J Barton not out 0
S Eccles not out 4
Total (for 9 wkts, 50 overs) 200
Fall of wickets: 1-17, 2-46, 3-64, 4-76, 5-158, 6-172, 7-180, 8-191, 9-196
Bowling: Purser 15-7-20-2, S Dawson 5-0-33-0, A Dawson 13-2-52-3, D Fawcett 7-1-34-0, Byrne 6-0-27-0, Smethurst 4-0-27-2
S Dawson b Griffiths 49
W Hunt b Hill 57
D Fawcett not out 52
B Thulborn c Wild b Hill 15
A Dawson not out 8
Total (for 3 wkts, 49.1 overs) 203
Fall of wickets: 1-72, 2-178, 3-191
Bowling: Griffiths 15-2-61-1, Hill 11.1-0-56-2, Morris 13-0-49-0, Eccles 10-0-28-0
- Seconds Unbeaten Start Ended At Clifton
- Clifton Swept Aside As Seconds March Through To Second Round Of Burton Cup
- Magnificent Purser Has Clifton Tumbling Like Ninepins
- Byrne Weaves Magic To Grasp Victory From Jaws Of Defeat In Burton Cup Semi
- Seconds Bounce Back To Defeat Clifton
- Chapman Guns Down Startled Heywood
- Dynamo Dawson In Electric Form As Sparks Fly In Seconds’ Rochdale Victory
- Dawson Brothers On Fire, But Crompton Victory Built On Smethurst And Fawcett Foundations
- Seconds Attack Way Too Good For Norden
- Poor Start Condemns Heywood To Clifton Defeat