Roger Smethurst’s seconds showed strength of character to win through to the last eight of the Burton Cup in a remarkable match at Clifton on Sunday.
Clifton were 114-0 chasing Heywood’s total of 171 – but that was in the 43rd over leaving them 57 to get off more than a run a ball.
That proved too big a task for the rest of the batting, who were forced to swing from the off and were no match for the Heywood attack.
Skipper Roger Smethurst picked up 3-24, while Andy Dawson ended a superb weekend for himself with 3-31.
Earlier, Heywood’s total owed much again to the talents of the youngest Dawson brother.
With Heywood stuttering on 64-5 in the 30th over, Andy was joined by Wes Hunt and the pair set about repairing the damage.
Showing the quality that has seen them both play in the first team in recent times, they put on 72 runs and Heywood scored 106 from their last 20.
Andy was finally out for a superb 53 and Hunt was out late on for 38.
Heywood’s final total also owed a lot to young keeper Scott Jones (18 no) and veteran Rick Purser (11 no), who put on an unbeaten 33 for the ninth wicket, including 19 runs off the last three overs.
S Dawson lbw Meredith 8
P Dawson b Meredith 1
Burrill c (keeper) b Unwin 18
Smethurst c ? b Unwin 12
Fawcett run out 3
A Dawson c ? b Morris 53
Hunt c ? b Lloyd 38
Booth lbw Morris 0
Jones not out 18
Purser not out 11
FOW: 1-9, 2-16, 3-31, 4-39, 5-64, 6-136, 7-138, 8-138
Total (for 8 wickets, 50 overs) 171
Bowling: Hill 10-6-12-0, Meredith 10-3-19-2, Unwin 10-0-31-3, Lloyd 10-1-50-1, Morris 7-0-38-2, Reader 3-0-18-0.
Thorpe c ? b S Dawson 72
Derbyshire c&b Smethurst 57
Royle lbw S Dawson 3
Haye b A Dawson 1
Hill c ? b S Dawson 6
Morris c ? b Smethurst 2
Brown st Jones b Smethurst 2
Lloyd not out 1
Meredith b A Dawson 6
Unwin b A Dawson 0
FOW: 1-116, 2-140, 3-141, 4-146, 5-148, 6-149, 7-151, 8-158
Total (for 9 wickets, 50 overs) 158
Bowling: Purser 10-4-19-0, A Dawson 10-2-31-3, Byrne 10-1-30-0, Fawcett 5-0-17-0, Smethurst 5-0-24-3.
- Seconds Unbeaten Start Ended At Clifton
- Magnificent Purser Has Clifton Tumbling Like Ninepins
- Talented Youngsters Help Seconds Recover Their Mojo
- Byrne Weaves Magic To Grasp Victory From Jaws Of Defeat In Burton Cup Semi
- Young Stars Come To Seconds’ Rescue
- BURTON CUP FINAL: The Route To The Final
- Dawson Brothers On Fire, But Crompton Victory Built On Smethurst And Fawcett Foundations
- Title Out Of Seconds’ Hands After Dismal Royton Defeat
- Cross Takes Seven, Grogan Hits Maiden 50, Fawcett Shines In Clifton Win
- BURTON CUP FINAL: Shocking Start Paves Way For Middleton Victory