Heywood Seconds’ perfect start to the season came to an end at Clifton.
The home side are always a test for any team, especially on their home ground, and their tight bowling and fielding was the difference in a close game.
Heywood thought they had possibly done enough to claim another victory at the half way stage, having restricted Clifton to just 136 off 46.2 overs.
Again, Rick Purser proved to be the man for the conditions, picking up 4-30 off his 15 overs to follow his six wicket haul last week.
There were wickets for Simon Dawson and Lee Grogan too, but perhaps the best spell came from Dom Fawcett, whose first seven overs – before he had to be removed from the attack – went for just nine runs.
Heywood’s innings got off to a poor start when both Dawson and Matt Hood went with just six on the board.
Fawcett impressed with 17 and there were decent innings all down the order, but no one could hang around against an accurate home attack.
Captain Roger Smethurst, who would have tried to dig in, was forced to bat last man in after sustaining a hand injury while fielding.
Four wins out of five still keeps Heywood top of their division, we believe, but this result proves there are some competitive teams out there this season.
C Lord c Thulborn b Purser 29
G Griffiths run out 30
I Morris c Jones b D Fawcett 1
J Unwin c Booth b Purser 8
C Royle lbw b L Grogan 23
A Tocher c L Grogan b Purser 0
M Hay b Purser 0
R Borritt b S Dawson 10
D Hill not out 26
J Barton lbw b S Dawson 4
R Meredith run out 0
Total (46.2 overs) 137
Fall of wickets: 1-41, 2-56, 3-66, 4-79, 5-79, 6-79, 7-95, 8-131, 9-136, 10-137
Bowling: Purser 15-4-30-4, L Grogan 6.2-0-38-1, D Fawcett 9-5-26-1, S Dawson 11-3-23-2, M Grogan 5-0-18-0
S Dawson b Borritt 0
M Hood c Hill b Meredith 6
D Fawcett b Hill 17
B Thulborn b Meredith 11
C Booth lbw b Meredith 11
S Burrill run out 1
L Grogan c Meredith b Hill 24
M Grogan c Hay b Borritt 1
S Jones b Meredith 15
R Purser not out 2
R Smethurst c and b Meredith 0
Total (38.2 overs) 99
Fall of wickets: 1-0, 2-6, 3-19, 4-39, 5-46, 6-63, 7-78, 8-90, 9-99, 10-99
- Magnificent Purser Has Clifton Tumbling Like Ninepins
- Clifton Swept Aside As Seconds March Through To Second Round Of Burton Cup
- Byrne Weaves Magic To Grasp Victory From Jaws Of Defeat In Burton Cup Semi
- Dynamo Dawson In Electric Form As Sparks Fly In Seconds’ Rochdale Victory
- Talented Youngsters Help Seconds Recover Their Mojo
- Booth, Smethurst Dig Deep After Bowlers Set Up Victory Shot
- Seconds Bounce Back To Defeat Clifton
- Heywood Seconds Team For Weekend
- Seconds Back To Winning Ways With Solid Royton Win
- Seconds Attack Way Too Good For Norden