Heywood seconds kept up the pressure at the top of the CLL 2nd XI Premier with a crushing win over Norden at Crimble last Saturday.
A day before the now famous Burton Cup defeat of Walsden, Heywood’s powerful bowling attack served a notice of intent to win against their biggest rivals by 116 runs.
Stars of the show were Simon Dawson and Rick Purser.
Heywood had managed a decent total of 174-9 off their 50 overs. No one really got in and made the big score – the one weakness in this team – but this season such scores have proved to be more than enough.
And it was the case here. Purser maintained his usual rigid discipline at one end, picking up four good wickets, while Dawson followed his eight wickets of the previous week with a five-wicket haul.
They were too good for a decent Norden side and bowled them out for just 58 in 28 overs.
M Hood b Saeed 14
R Smethurst b Humphreys 16
D Fawcett b Humphreys 11
B Thulborn c ? b Wylde 23
J O’Neill c ? b Udwadia 13
S Dawson c ? b Wylde 28
M Grogan c ? b Wylde 23
S Burrill c ? b Udwadia 8
C Booth c ? b Udwadia 3
S Byrne not out 9
R Purser not out 6
Total (for 9 wkts, 50 overs) 174
Fall of wickets: 1-40, 2-40, 3-43, 4-81, 5-116, 6-145, 7-156, 8-160, 9-163
Bowling: A Saeed 14-1-34-1, N Edwards 6-1-16-0, D Humphreys 10-2-42-2, R Udwadia 9-1-33-3, S Wylde 11-0-46-3
A Saeed b Dawson 19
G Tattersall lbw b Purser 13
P Docker b Dawson 1
D Humphreys c O’Neill b Purser 0
B Pattison c Burrill b Dawson 4
S Wylde c Burrill b Purser 0
R Udwadia c O’Neill b Dawson 0
R Collin run out 8
A Tattersall not out 8
R Greenwood c D Fawcett b Purser 0
N Edwards lbw b Dawson 0
Total (28 overs) 58
Fall of wickets: 1-25, 2-29, 3-37, 4-37, 5-41, 6-41, 7-41, 8-56, 9-56, 10-58
Bowling: Purser 14-4-27-4, Dawson 14-3-31-5
- Seconds Pay Price For Below-Par Target
- Purser And Grogan Stay Calm, Norden Seconds Are Vanquished
- Seconds Stumble After Norden Dig Deep
- Dawson Brothers On Fire, But Crompton Victory Built On Smethurst And Fawcett Foundations
- Too Few Runs Means Too Few Problems For Norden
- Morley Wows Crowd – And Umpires – With Another Sizzling Performance To Shatter Norden In Farewell-To-CLL Victory
- Sub Par Heywood Make It Too Easy For Norden
- UPDATED (with pics): Burrill And Dawson Blow Away Royton
- A Day To Forget For Heywood In Heavy Crimble Defeat
- Dynamo Dawson In Electric Form As Sparks Fly In Seconds’ Rochdale Victory