Rick Purser turned in the performance of his career as Heywood Seconds destroyed Clifton at Crimble on Sunday
The veteran opening bowler picked up the incredible figures of 9-15 off 14.2 overs as he almost single-handedly meted out a severe thrashing to a Clifton side who have caused Heywood problems over the course of the past few years.
Bowling typically straight and full – with a hint of movement either way – Purser turned the visiting batsmen into quivering wrecks.
As the scale of their side’s collapsed dawned on them, Clifton’s batsmen became ever more paralysed as Purser continued to bowl straight and full. A series of swipes and nervous prods proved their undoing, and it was testament to the unerring accuracy of Purser that four of his victims were lbw.
Clifton were finally put out of their misery in the 29th over, their 50 all out never enough to stop Heywood’s charge for victory.
Phil and Simon Dawson set about the chase and although Phil and then Adam Fawcett went cheaply, Simon continued to bat with confidence. Wes Hunt joined him and the pair moved serenely past the target, Dawson finishing on 31 and Hunt unbeaten on 13.
C Thorpe c and b Purser 0
J Unwin b Maguire 0
I Morris c Maguire b Purser 16
W Davidson c Jones b Purser 7
D Wild lbw b Purser 2
J Royle lbw b Purser 1
A Lord not out 17
R Reade c Hunt b Purser 0
A Tocher lbw b Purser 0
D Hill b Purser 0
R Meredith lbw b Purser 0
Total (28.2 overs) 50
Fall of wickets: 1-0, 2-0, 3-16, 4-28, 5-30, 6-32, 7-46, 8-46, 9-46, 10-50
Bowling: R Purser 14.2-7-15-9, C Maguire 10-4-15-1, L Grogan 4-0-20-0
P Dawson lbw b Meredith 6
S Dawson not out 31
A Fawcett c Morris b Meredith 0
W Hunt not out 13
Total (for 2 wkts, 11.1 overs) 53
Fall of wickets: 1-26, 2-26
Bowling: Meredith 6-2-15-2, Hill 5-1-31-0, Davidson 0.1-0-5-0
[Gallery not found]
- Seconds Unbeaten Start Ended At Clifton
- Clifton Swept Aside As Seconds March Through To Second Round Of Burton Cup
- Byrne Weaves Magic To Grasp Victory From Jaws Of Defeat In Burton Cup Semi
- Talented Youngsters Help Seconds Recover Their Mojo
- Maguire Just Can’t Say No To A Hatful Of Wickets (Pics To Come Tomorrow AM)
- Poor Start Condemns Heywood To Clifton Defeat
- Chapman Guns Down Startled Heywood
- Heywood Surrender Promising Position To Lose In T20 Thriller At Clifton
- BURTON CUP FINAL: Shocking Start Paves Way For Middleton Victory
- Seconds Bounce Back To Defeat Clifton