The recent fragility of Heywood seconds’ batting was in evidence at Unsworth on Saturday.
The weekend before, Heywood twice failed to post totals to win matches, including the Burton Cup.
This time, the top order capitulated in the face of a small run chase, and now it looks like their bid for the Second Division title is all but over.
As usual, Heywood’s bowlers did their job and restricted Unsworth to just 132 off 46.4 overs. Andy Dawson led the way with four wickets, while there were also two apiece for Lee Grogan and Dom Fawcett.
Skipper Roger Smethurst pushed veteran Rick Purser to the opening spot in a bid to shore up the batting, but it’s no use when the other end struggles so badly.
Only Simon Dawson reached double figures and Heywood were in all sorts of trouble at 41-6.
That Heywood eventually passed 100 was down to young Ben Thulborn, who hit an excellent 22 from number nine to show his promise for the future.
It was a desperately disappointing result for Heywood and Smethurst, and may now have handed the title to Norden, especially with the ridiculous replayed fixtures next week.
A Saheed c Burrill b Grogan 39
P Entwistle run out 28
R Navaratnam b S Dawson 1
J Mohammed lbw b Grogan 12
K Rajasansir b A Dawson 1
M Munawar b A Dawson 2
J Conmie not out 9
S Hetherington lbw b A Dawson 8
R Edge c Thulborn b A Dawson 0
U Mahmood lbw b D Fawcett 4
B Edge b D Fawcett 4
Total (46.4 overs) 132
Fall of wickets: 1-41, 2-64, 3-73, 4-88, 5-90, 6-98, 7-108, 8-108, 9-121, 10-132
Bowling: Purser 6-1-18-0, S Dawson 15-1-45-1, Grogan 15-7-21-2, A Dawson 7-0-26-4, D Fawcett 2.4-1-7-2, Byrne 1-0-6-0
S Dawson c Entwistle b Munawar 11
R Purser c Munawar b Saheed 12
D Fawcett lbw b Munawar 1
R Smethurst c Conmie b Saheed 6
A Dawson lbw b Saheed 0
L Grogan c and b Munawar 3
P Dawson run out 8
S Burrill c Mohammed b Mahmood 8
S Jones c Conmie b Mohammed 3
B Thulborn lbw b Hetherington 22
S Byrne not out 4
Total (44.5 overs) 103
Fall of wickets: 1-13, 2-17, 3-34, 4-34, 5-41, 6-41, 7-61, 8-65, 9-87, 10-103
Bowling: Munawar 5-7-21-3, Saheed 15-6-30-3, Mahmood 2-0-11-1, Mohammed 7-1-15-1, Hetherington 5.5-1-16-1
- Purser And Dawson Shine As Rain Interrupts AGAIN
- Young Stars Come To Seconds’ Rescue
- No Hiccups As Smethurst’s Seconds Ease Past Unsworth
- Youthful Seconds Display Their Promise To Hammer Dale
- Seconds Enjoy Nine-Wicket Crompton Romp
- Title Out Of Seconds’ Hands After Dismal Royton Defeat
- Scintillating Williams Blows Away Heywood Batting
- BURTON CUP FINAL: Shocking Start Paves Way For Middleton Victory
- Dawson Brothers On Fire, But Crompton Victory Built On Smethurst And Fawcett Foundations
- Clifton Swept Aside As Seconds March Through To Second Round Of Burton Cup