Heywood Under-18s set up a Taylor Cup final showdown with Whitaker Cup champions Rochdale after they demolished Royton by eight wickets at Crimble last night.
Royton were never in with a shout really as they struggled against the new ball pairing of Humza Naeem and Andy Dawson and they stuttered to a below-par total of 70 off their 20 overs.
Only opening bat Porteous put up any real resistance with an excellent, unbeaten 31, but the rest couldn’t cope with an experienced Heywood attack.
Naeem finished with 3-14 and Dawson 2-14, while they received good support from Wes Hunt, Lawrence Arnold and Joe Lovell.
The tone was set for the reply when Hunt crashed six off the first two balls he faced and there was no surprise when he retired on 31.
Both he and Dawson gave the odd chance, and Dawson had one swish too many when he was caught behind on 26.
But it was too little too late for Royton and wicket keeper Scott Jones – who interrupted a family holiday in Wales to play in the game – hit the winning run off the only ball he faced as Heywood cruised to 71-2 off 11.1 overs.
The scene is now set for a showdown between Heywood and Rochdale, whose game in the league was cancelled due to the bad weather.
The game will take place on Saturday, September 1, with the venue yet to be decided.
C Porteous retired 31
J Snape c Jones b Naeem 4
K Warwick b Naeem 0
K Hussain b Dawson 1
J Taylor-Maw c and b Hunt 6
C Jewell c Jones b Naeem 9
A Tesz not out 7
J Pertoldi c and b Dawson 1
G Ashton not out 4
Total (for 6 wickets, 20 overs) 70
Fall of wickets: 1-16, 2-16, 3-18, 4-44, 5-64, 6-65
Bowling: Dawson 5-0-14-2, Naeem 5-1-14-3, Hunt 5-0-22-1, Arnold 1-0-3-0, Lovell 4-0-15-0
A Dawson c Hussain b Tesz 26
W Hunt retired 31
J Lovell not out 9
H Naeem run out 2
S Jones not out 1
Total (for 2 wkts, 11.1 overs) 71
Fall of wickets: 1-59, 2-66
Bowling: Jewell 2.1-0-18-0, Porteous 5-0-29-0, Tesz 4-0-24-1
[Gallery not found]
- Under-18s Set Up Rochdale Clash After Demolishing Royton
- Under-18s Finally Beat Weather To Record Third Victory
- Experience Bowls Royton Out After Youth Sets Up Big Target
- Hurricane Humza Wreaks Havoc On Pollards
- Thulborn 50 Leads Heywood Under-15s To Another Victory
- Dawson Leads Way To Another Win But Bowlers And Fielders Set The Tone
- Easy Win As Under-18s Cruise Into Taylor Cup Quarters
- Title Out Of Seconds’ Hands After Dismal Royton Defeat
- Under 18s Cruise Into Semis Of Taylor Cup
- Heywood Under-18s V Royton, Taylor Cup Semi, Wednesday 6pm