TWO new faces will feature in the first team as Heywood sides prepare for their opening games of the new Greater Manchester Cricket League season at the weekend.
Overseas amateur Jayden Borg, who has arrived from top Melbourne area club Carlton, will take the over the wicketkeeping role and undoubtedly feature high in the order as a left-handed batsman as the first team prepare to take on Glossop in the inaugural Premier League clash at Crimble (12.30).
Chris Thomas is a new signing from Prestwich and expected to bat in the middle order. He is also reported to be an outstanding fielder and will add to Heywood’s already considerable expertise in that department.
The game also sees the first game as skipper for Chris Humphreys and the club’s professional for Danny Pawson.
Heywood 1st Xl (v Glossop, home, Saturday, meet at club at 11.30 for a 12.30 start): C Humphreys (capt), R Cross, L Mason, D Humphreys, S Burrill, C Thomas, W Hunt, J Borg, J Morley, S Dawson, D Pawson (pro).
The second team, led by the club’s long-serving all-rounder Chris Kaye, are at Denton West for a Division Three fixture (1pm) and also have a debut boy in Joe Humphreys, younger son of Chris.
Heywood 2nd XL (v Denton West, away, Saturday, meet at club at 11.30 for a 1pm start): C Kaye (capt), A Fawcett, A Dawson, J Humphreys, D Fawcett, R Smethurst, C Booth, J Mills, M Grogan, J Keyworth, R Purser.
The third team start their campaign in the North East Division on Sunday at home to Unsworth (2pm), when the side will be led by Adam Fawcett.
Heywood 3rd Xl (v Unsworth, home, Sunday, meet at club at 12.45 for a 2pm start): A Fawcett (capt), S Evans, K Nugent, M Witts, E Harding, J Humphreys, J Mills, C Hilton, Jacob Kaye, D Campbell, J Morley.
- Home Comforts For Heywood As Dukinfield Put To Sword In Cup
- Afternoon Rain Washes Out Intriguing Glossop Reply
- Heywood Name Youthful Team For Friday’s T20 Clash
- Teams For The Weekend
- Bowlers Hold Nerve To Record Crucial Victory
- Heartbreak For Heywood As Burnley Edge Lancs KO Cup Thriller
- Batsman Fail At DSL After Strong Effort With Ball From Dawson And Humphreys
- Praise For Glossop As Heywood Go Down
- Classy Humphreys Performance Can’t Stop On-Song Boro
- Heywood Stand Up And Turn The Tables On Top-Dogs Prestwich