James Mills underlined his potential with a fine spell of bowling as Heywood Thirds hammered Walsden at Crimble.
Mills, 15, bowled his left-armers to devastating effect to reduce Walsden to 30-5, taking all five wickets to fall before he had to be removed from the attack with excellent figures of 5-19 off six.
This allowed Tom McGoldrick to get in on the act, and he picked up three good wickets, including a smart stumping from Geoff Abram.
Kieran Peters also picked up a wicket with an easy catch to Morgan Kay, and a Walsden side that looked strong at the top of the order was blown away for just 58 on an seaming wicket.
Walsden needed early wickets, and Tyson Illingworth obliged by taking the big scalp of Ben Thulborn caught behind in the first over of the reply.
He picked up two more – Pete Mills and Peters – but this brought two of Heywood’s senior players in Abram and captain Rob Morley to the crease.
Abram opened the batting and always looked willing to hit the ball, but it wasn’t until Morley joined him that they set about the visiting bowling.
The pair decided they wanted to finish things quickly, and put on 38 in no time – crashing the ball all over Crimble – to take their side to a seven-wicket victory.
This was an excellent performance from the thirds, testament to the enthusiasm of captain Morley and the talent of Mills et al.
R Howley b Mills 2
J Battersby c Thulborn b McGoldrick 9
D Howley b Mills 8
T Illingworth b Mills 6
J Hanson b Mills 1
G Connor c Thulborn b Mills 6
J Barnes st Abram b McGoldrick 4
J Mitchell c Kay b Peters 1
N Mitchell not out 18
C Sutcliffe b McGoldrick 1
A Bell run out 4
Total (17.2 overs) 58
Fall of wickets: 1-2, 2-13, 3-21, 4-30, 5-30, 6-32, 7-35, 8-39, 9-41, 10-58
Bowling: Mills 6-0-19-5; McGoldrick 8.2-3-18-3; Peters 3-0-19-1
B Thulborn c Battersby b Illingworth 0
G Abram not out 28
P Mills c Battersby b Illingworth 1
K Peters b Illingworth 4
R Morley not out 23
Total (for 3 wkts, 18.5 overs) 62
Fall of wickets: 0-1, 2-10, 3-24
Bowling: Illingworth 9-3-23-3, Barnes 5-3-3-0, Sutcliffe 3-0-18-0, Bell 1-0-8-0, D Howley 0.5-0-12-0
[Gallery not found]
- Seconds Battle Well But Missed Chances Cost Them Dear At Scott Street
- Thirds Go For Glory In Frank Bailey Trophy
- Fawcett In The Runs But Sloppiness In Field Costs Thirds Dear
- Fawcett Stars Again As Young And Old Shine At Worsley
- Heywood Thirds v Winton @ Crimble, Sunday
- Chapman, Thulborn Shine In Summerseat – Hunt Goes AWOL At ASDA
- Mills And Thulborn Pave Way For Pawson Class
- Brilliant Under-18s Pull Off Superb Run Chase
- Youngsters Gain Valuable Experience In Third Team Defeat
- Mills, Fawcett And McConnell Make Light Work Of Unsworth