REPORT BY JOHN HEYWOOD: On another bright sunny morning on the Yorkshire border Heywood made the long trip over to Walsden.
Winning the toss captain Danny James elected to bat on what looked a decent batting wicket
The batting order was changed around slightly to offer a chance to some players denied time in the middle in recent weeks. Shoeb Zahid and Danny James opened the batting and looked to run quickly between the wickets and punish any wide or short deliveries.
Going along at a brisk six an over, the openers had done a good job when Shoeb missed a straight one and was bowled.
This lead to Keelan Nugent coming to the wicket to keep the score at sevn an over for the next few overs. Keelan then missed a straight one and was also bowled but that led to some fantastic batting by Harry Bevan and Danny James and both retired in quick succession on 25.
If Walsden thought that there problems were over Billy Radcliffe then hit his first ball over the rope for six runs and then plundered a quick-fire 25 to become Heywood’s 3rd retired batsmen
Shot of the Day contender was Darius Campbell’s perfectly-executed cover drive. It was a joy to watch.
Heywood, by the end of 20 overs, had rattled along at 6.75 an over to post a formidable and match-winning 135-3.
135 was in reality always going to be too much for Walsden’s young side but they batted well and played some lovely shots themselves but could not match Heywoood’s scoring rate.
Every Heywood player bowled (nine bowled two overs and two bowled one) to give everybody the best chance to keep involved in the game.
After the 20 overs Walsden finished on 70 – 7 and Heywood had consolidated their second place in the league with a 65-run win and another four points.
Six league wins equals the 2011 season, so with 3 games to go the aim for all the players should be to finish on May 5 with nine wins from 11.
Well done everybody a very professional performance and big thanks to Paula for scoring at the last minute. That was very much appreciated.
- Under-13s Win Two In Two To Set Up Lancs KO Final Showdown
- Four League Wins In A Row As Under-15s Warm Up For Final
- Under-13s Too Hot For Radcliffe To Handle
- Under-13s Up And Running To Delight Of Coach Heywood
- All-Round Under-13s Show Too Much For Walsden
- Nugent Leads Heywood Under-15s To Littleborough Victory
- Under 13s Teams v Unsworth, Clifton – UPDATE
- Thulborn 50 Leads Heywood Under-15s To Another Victory
- Plenty To Learn, But A Fine Season From Under-13s
- Heywood CC Under 13s v Littleborough, Sunday – AMENDED