AN early injury setback to professional Travis Townsend was a cause for alarm as Heywood slumped to their second successive defeat in the North West Group of the John Willie Lees Twenty20 Cup.
The South African all-rounder, captaining the side in the absence of Bobby Cross, suffered a concerning hand injury in the early overs of the Rochdale innings and had to go to hospital.
A split in the webbing around the little finger of his right hand required stitches and kept him out of the following day’s home Central Lancashire League clash with Walsden.
It also ended his further involvement in the Twenty20 game and Heywood were convincingly beaten by 35 runs.
Heywood were satisfied in containing the visitors to a total of 120-6, after openers Michael Price and Steve Pimm – the professional and overseas amateur respectively – had put on 49 for the first wicket.
Andy Dawson was the stand-out home bowler with a 3-23 return from his four overs, and Joe Lovell also chipped in with a couple of wickets.
The home side were always struggling without Townsend in their reply and dipped to 51-7 before Humza Naeem’s unbeaten 22 helped lifted the total to an eventual 85-8.
Heywood now need to beat Rochdale in their final Group match at Crimble on Friday (6.15), and hope that Middleton – already through to the quarter-finals – beat Norden in the other game. That would leave Heywood, Norden and Rochdale vying for the second qualification spot on run rate.
M Price b A Dawson 29
S Pimm c Pawson b A Dawson 17
S North b Lovell 14
O Makin b Lovell 11
H Fitton c Naeem b Paterson 14
C Humphreys not out 14
D Lord lbw b A Dawson 0
W Hazlehurst not out 6
Total (for 6 wkts, 20 overs) 120
Fall of wickets: 1-49, 2-53, 3-73, 4-86, 5-104, 6-107
Bowling: Paterson 4-0-27-1, Naeem 4-0-21-0, A Dawson 4-0-23-3, S Dawson 4-0-22-0, Lovell 4-0-23-2
R Zelem c Morrell b Humphreys 4
A Dawson c Hazlehurst b North 11
S Dawson c Morrell b North 5
D Pawson c Lord b Makin 9
D Latham st Hazlehurst b Morrell 10
W Hunt c Wild b North 1
R Paterson b Makin 0
H Naeem not out 22
J Lovell b Morrell 3
A Fawcett not out 8
T Townsend did not bat, injured
Total (for 8 wkts, 20 overs) 85
Fall of wickets: 1-14, 2-19, 3-31, 4-33, 5-34, 6-34, 7-51, 8-63
Bowling: H Fitton 1-0-10-0, Humphreys 2-0-11-1, North 4-1-16-3, Makin 4-1-6-2, Morrell 3-0-12-2, Price 1-0-4-0, Wild 3-0-14-0, Lord 2-0-8-0
- Cross Masters Conditions, Then Townsend, Kaye Take Over
- Kaye Holds Nerve After Pawson And Townsend Set Heywood On Way To Thrilling Norden Victory
- A Day To Forget For Heywood In Heavy Crimble Defeat
- Blistering Dawson Sets Up Stunning Norden T20 Victory
- Dawson Responds To ‘Enjoy Yourself’ Order
- Heywood Falter Again As Norden Prove Too Strong (UPDATED WITH PICS)
- Heywood Must Wait For Fate After T20 Thriller At Redbrook
- Dawson Leads Way To Another Win But Bowlers And Fielders Set The Tone
- Rochdale Hold Nerve To Ease Past Heywood In T20
- Bowlers Keep It Tight As Heywood Stay In Hunt For Wood Cup Honours