Heywood CC’s third team put on a fine all-round team performance to beat Bolton and continue their hold on top spot in the Manchester and District League Division Three.
They posted an intimidating total of 176 off their 45 overs at Crimble, and then in light rain that bucked the trend across the rest of North Manchester, they bowled out the visitors for just 107 to earn an excellent 69-run victory.
Heywood’s victory was built on a big opening stand between under-18s Dom Fawcett and Wes Hunt.
The pair struggled at times on a very sticky wicket, but they both dug deep to complete patient 50s.
Hunt was the first to go for 52, and was followed a few overs later by Fawcett, who hit 53.
This allowed young Ben Thulborn to enhance his reputation with an excellent innings.
Given licence to play shots, the 14-year-old impressed everyone with his excellent timing on the huge Crimble ground, and his innings of 38 only came to an end when he tried a big shot with overs running out.
In reply, Bolton decided to give it a go and raced to 20 in no time, before Shaun Burrill struck in his second over. Young James Mills then claimed another and from there it was all downhill for Bolton.
Mikey Grogan (3-32) and Sean Chapman (3-20) were the stand-out performers with the ball, while mention must go to two outstanding pieces of cricket from Grogan and Burrill.
Burrill produced a sensational pick up and through to run out Intwala, with keeper Callum Openshaw also playing his part, while Grogan took an equally spectacular one-handed catch at a very close, if not silly, mid-off off the bowling of Chapman.
A good home crowd enjoyed the efforts of the only Heywood senior side who managed to beat the weather this weekend.
- Mills, Fawcett And McConnell Make Light Work Of Unsworth
- McConnell Achieves Wonderful Milestone As Thirds March On
- Thirds Cruise To Encouraging Opening Day Victory
- Burrill On Song As Seconds Put In Great Performance At Redbrook
- Experience Bowls Royton Out After Youth Sets Up Big Target
- Booth, Smethurst Dig Deep After Bowlers Set Up Victory Shot
- LATE REPORT: Burrill And Young Bowlers Shine Brightly In Werneth Win
- Teams For Weekend, And Sunday Opening At 6pm
- Seconds Pay Price For Below-Par Target
- Thulborn And Burrill Set Worsley Up, Chapman Knocks Them Down