Bobby Cross wrote himself another chapter in the history of the JW Lees Wood Cup as Heywood completed victory over Walsden tonight.
Cross played what is being hailed as one of the finest final innings of all time in the Wood Cup, finishing unbeaten on 88 as Heywood overhauled Walsden’s target of 163.
The Heywood skipper has played some great knocks over the years, scoring 14 centuries and more than 11,000 runs for Heywood, but leading his young side to victory over a talented Walsden side at Crimble must be close to the best moment of his career.
It was also the 11th time Heywood have won the Wood Cup, but the first since 2007.
Starting the third day of the match on 69, alongside Andy Dawson, who was 26 not out, Heywood still required 39 to win.
Dawson hit Shackleton for four in the first over through extra cover to ease the tensions, and it was a shame when he was caught behind off pro Richard Sladdin’s final ball for 35. The pair had put on a brilliant 74 runs for the sixth wicket.
But Cross was, as ever, undaunted and he and Riley Paterson kept calm and saw Heywood home with seven overs to spare on 164-6.
Cross was a clear winner of the man-of-the-match award, but special mention had to go to Chris Kaye for his marvellous spell of 3-12 off 10 overs on Sunday, and Josh Gale for his 3-28.
Heywood pro Travis Townsend won the man-of-the-series award for his bowling performances and runs in earlier games.
WALSDEN 163-9 (Kaye 3-12, Paterson 3-32)
HEYWOOD (overnight 125-5)
R Cross not out 88
A Dawson c Rawlinson b Sladdin 35
R Paterson not out 2
Total (for 6 wkts, 43 overs) 164
Fall of wickets: 1-2, 2-28, 3-72, 5-72, 6-146
Bowling: Shackleton 9-1-27-0, Hoosen 5-0-17-0, S Barker 7-1-21-1, Joe Gale 6-1-26-0, Sladdin 10-0-29-1, Harkal 1-0-14-0, Josh Gale 5-1-28-3
- JW LEES WOOD CUP: Cross And Dawson In As Heywood Need 39 To Win
- Kaye Leads Way As Heywood Turn In Great Performance In Field
- Top Order Fails As Kaye And Lovell’s Super Spells Go Unrewarded
- Heywood Batting Woes As They Crumble At Crimble
- Collective Efforts Earn Heywood T20 Crown
- Nicol Shines With Cross As Heywood Chase Down Big Walsden Target
- JW LEES WOOD CUP: This Was Best Moment Of My Heywood Career
- Heywood Fail To Find Boundaries As Walsden Cash In
- Cross: Young Team Ready For JW Lees Wood Cup Final Challenge
- Final First XI Averages 2014