Bobby Cross and Andy Dawson are the men at the crease with Heywood still needing 39 for victory to win the 2013 JW Lees Wood Cup.
The pair shared a crucial 53-run partnership and took Heywood to 125-5 chasing 164 against Walsden at Crimble before bad light stopped play with 14 overs remaining.
Heywood had been cruising on 72-2 after resuming on 15-1 when, seemingly in desperation, Walsden turned to Josh Gale. He turned out to be a golden arm of the highest order, removing Danny Pawson with a long-hop first ball, Dale Latham bowled without playing a shot shortly after and then had Wes Hunt play round a straight one first ball.
Heywood were in trouble, although at the other end Cross was playing a magnificent innings and all he needed was someone to stay with him.
Arrive Andy Dawson. Although sometimes reckless, those in the know know Dawson is more than just a hitter and with his captain with him played one of his finest knocks of the season to repair the damage.
The pair ran well and put away the loose ball with style to put on an unbeaten 53 for the soxth wicket. Dawson finished unbeaten on 26, but the key man remains Cross.
His 69 was simply brilliant, showing again why he is the best true amateur by a distance in the league.
He ran well, played shots in the face of adversity and held his team together.
Play starts again tomorrow at 6-30pm. This means Heywood have Joe Lovell available again, and Walsden possibly have Jake Hooson back.
WALSDEN 163-9 (Kaye 3-12, Paterson 3-32)
R Cross not out 69
R Zelem run out 1
T Townsend lbw b S Barker 10
D Pawson c Harkal b Josh Gale 13
D Latham b Josh Gale 0
W Hunt lbw b Josh Gale 0
A Dawson not out 26
Total (for 5 wkts, 36 overs) 125
Fall of wickets: 1-2, 2-28, 3-72, 4-72, 5-72
Bowling: Shackleton 7-1-16-0, Hoosen 3-0-7-0, S Barker 6-1-15-1, Joe Gale 6-1-26-0, Sladdin 9-0-26-0, Harkal 1-0-14-0, Josh Gale 4-1-20-3
- JW LEES WOOD CUP: Cross Leads Heywood Home
- Nicol Shines With Cross As Heywood Chase Down Big Walsden Target
- Heywood Batting Woes As They Crumble At Crimble
- Kaye Leads Way As Heywood Turn In Great Performance In Field
- Top Order Fails As Kaye And Lovell’s Super Spells Go Unrewarded
- Collective Efforts Earn Heywood T20 Crown
- Morley Flourishes On Big Stage, But Walsden Too Good
- Brilliant Under-18s Pull Off Superb Run Chase
- Heywood Fail To Find Boundaries As Walsden Cash In
- Rochdale Hold Nerve To Ease Past Heywood In T20