Heywood showed the gulf in class between the top eight and the bottom eight when they crushed Werneth in the penultimate match of the season at The Coppice.
The match was replayed when a spate of fixtures were cancelled early in the season, and now, as then, Heywood were in great form and were way too good for struggling Werneth.
It was a familiar story from recent weeks. Heywood’s bowling, brilliantly led by Hamish Paterson on his final appearance with ball in hand for the club, swept away all that Werneth had to offer – pro Abbass apart – as they were rolled for just 98. Paterson picked up 3-28 to end a fine season, while there were three wickets for the excellent Humza Naeem, one for Chris Kaye to edge him closer to David Fare’s club record, two for Joe Lovell and one for pro Travis Townsend.
It was always going to be a relatively easy chase, and again Bobby Cross looked like he was playing a different game to anyone else.
He cracked an excellent 63 at better than a run a ball, but fell shortly before the target was reached, leaving Ross Zelem and Townsend to see Heywood to a victory that wasn’t enough to close in on title winners Walsden.
M Taylor c Kaye b Paterson 0
F Lenharty c Slawson b Paterson 3
J Taylor c Naeem b Townsend 0
H Abbass c Lovell b Kaye 46
K Roberts c Pawson b Paterson 2
R Shaw c Pawson b Naeem 7
A Walker c Pawson b Naeem 8
M Dronsfield c Pawson b Naeem 0
M Hassaon c Pawson b Lovell 19
M Wilson c Fawcett c Lovell 0
A Umar not out 0
FOW: 1-13, 2-14, 3-14, 4-36, 5-69, 6-70, 7-70, 8-92, 9-98, 10-98.
Total (all out, 38 overs) 98
Bowling: Paterson 11-7-28-3; Townsend 11-3-35-1; Kaye 8-1-17-1; Naeem 7-2-13-3; Lovell 1-0-5-2.
B Cross c Abbass b Wilson 63
R Zelem not out 20
T Townsend not out 11
Total (for one wicket, 17.5 overs) 102
Bowling: M Taylor 7-1-29-0; J Taylor 4-0-21-0; M Hassan 3-0-26-0; M Wilson 1.5.-0-13-1.
- Cross Stays Cool To See Heywood Home At Coppice
- Kaye And Slawson Hold Nerve As Heywood Win Thriller With Scorecard (Full Report And Pics On Monday)
- Werneth Secure First Win As Heywood Pay For Lacklustre Show In Field
- Werneth Feel Force Of Behardien’s Bat
- Red-Hot Heywood Rout Milnrow For 24 En Route To Nine-Wicket Romp
- Cross In Top Form As Heywood Cruise Past Flixton
- Bowlers And Zelem Usher In Crushing Nine-Wicket Royton Victory
- Pawson Sets Tone For Heywood CC’s Fourth Win In A Row
- Pitch-Perfect Cross Makes Another Piece Of Crimble History (I Think)
- Paterson’s Six Shooter Shatters Radcliffe’s Hopes