Heywood stayed in the hunt for CLL glory with a comprehensive defeat of a struggling Littleborough side at Hare Hill.
It was a good toss to win for Heywood skipper Bobby Cross on a lively wicket, but it was a great performance with the ball that saw Boro dismissed for 101 and a solid performance with the bat saw Heywood to their rain-reduced target of 91.
Heywood would not have liked to have been chasing another 30 or 40 more on this sort of wicket and with Mo Bux typically parsimonious with ball in hand, but that they weren’t chasing 140 was down to a great performance with the new ball from Hamish Paterson and Curtis Maguire.
Although their figures look neat, their performance was far better than they indicate and the wickets of Jon Henderson for Maguire and Heywood lad Gary Hulme for Paterson were scant reward for their efforts.
Home pro Clinton Perren dug in and he and Wade Williams battled hard to get things going. But Humza Naeem took a juggling catch off Williams after a poor first over and everything turned back in Heywood’s favour.
Naeem and Townsend bowled straight and Heywood fielded well, and the pair finished with three wickets apiece to bowl Boro out for 101.
Heywood lost Ross Zelem early on and were in danger of another setback as the heavens looked set to ruin the game.
But after an hour and five minutes the game resumed with Heywood set 91 for victory off 43 rain-redced overs.
Cross looked in excellent nick until Bux got one to lift on him and he was taken at the wicket for 34.
Townsend this time showed his prowess with the bat and after a nervy start settled down to take Heywood to victory despite the further loss of Danny Pawson and Maguire.
J Henderson c Pawson b Maguire 5
G Hulme c Pawson b Paterson 7
C Perren not out 47
W Williams c & b Naeem 13
T Pye c Slawson b Naeem 11
C Rushton b Townsend 2
P Deakin c Cross b Naeem 0
M Micklethwaite lbw Townsend 0
J Barnes run out 1
M Bux lbw Kaye 0
J Roach b Townsend 3
FOW: 1-9; 2-26; 3-65; 4-77; 5-81; 6-84; 7-86; 8-89; 9-90; 10-101
Total (all out, 39.4 overs) 101
Bowling: Paterson 10-4-19-1; Maguire 10-2-25-1; Naeem 7-0-29-3; Townsend 9.4-3-17-3; Kaye 3-0-7-1.
R Cross c Roach b Bux 34
R Zelem b M Bux 3
T Townsend not out 35
D Pawson c Henderson b Bux 9
Maguire c Perren b Bux 0
Slawson not out 2
FOW: 1-18; 2-45; 3-79; 4-84
Total (for four wickets, 28.2 overs) 91
Bowling: Williams 9-0-51-0; Bux 13.2-6-27-4; Deakin 5-3-10-0.
Heywood won by six runs on reduced over rule.
- Top Order Struggle As Heywood Lose Out In T20 Opener
- Townsend Knocks Over Littleborough, Before Zelem, Cross And Pawson See Heywood To Five-Point Victory
- Buoyed Heywood Hammer Boro, Pawson And Townsend In Tip-Top Form
- Pace, And Class Of Cross, Too Good For Ashton
- Cross Steals The Show As Radcliffe Bow To Kaye And Maguire
- Bowlers And Zelem Usher In Crushing Nine-Wicket Royton Victory
- Kaye And Slawson Hold Nerve As Heywood Win Thriller With Scorecard (Full Report And Pics On Monday)
- Classy Boro Enjoy Comfortable Eight-Wicket Victory
- Zelem Finds Top Form To Overhaul Clifton
- Kaye And Townsend Steal Show As Rochdale Are Hammered