Jan 312014
 

Heywood have made one of their biggest signings for years in new pro Farhaan Behardien, according to cricket chairman David Fare.

Fare announced at Tuesday’s AGM that he had completed the signing of the 30-year-old South African ODI star following George Worker’s decision to stay in New Zealand.

Behardien had been expected to join Heywood in 2012, but pulled out with an injured hand and subsequently went on to play international cricket for his country.

Behardien is an excellent free-scoring batsman who has Lancashire League experience with Burnley in 2010, and can also bowl medium pace. He is, as are most South Africans, an exceptional fielder.

Fare said he was surprised to see Behardien’s name appear on the list of players offered by agents, and was delighted to seal the deal.

He said: “We were very keen on him when we signed him first time, and were disappointed he couldn’t come.

“I was surprised to see his name appear on the agent’s list, but I contacted him and it went from there.

“There are not many big name pros around any more, but this is one of the bigger signings and he should prove to be an exciting player.

“With Farhaan, we should be in a position to challenge for the league. He will hopefully help us close games out and win us games with the bat that we didn’t manage to do last year.”

The only fly in the ointment is the IPL, which Behardien has made himself available for. However, it is thought unlikely he will be picked up this time around.

He plays for Titans in South Africa’s domestic competition, and played the last of his 11 ODIs against Sri Lanka in Columbo in July.

He has a high score of 58 for his country, and best figures of 3-19.

For his full Cricinfo stats, click here.

Similar Posts:

 January 31, 2014  Tagged with: ,  Add comments

  4 Responses to “Behardien A Major Coup For Heywood”

  1. The signing has pleased the fans I think

  2. Farhaan went unsold at the IPL auction, which is good news for us anyhow.

    Now we go to the next stage, work permit etc.

  3. Get your finger pulled out then former chairman

  4. Just an update on the new pro.

    Farhaan has been selected in the South African squad for the T20 series against Australia and also is in the World T20 squad.

    As the world T20 final is on the 6th April this should not impact on his availability for us this coming season. The fact that he has been selected is in many ways a good thing for us.
    Therefore barring injury and subject to all the necessary paperwork being sent to enable us to apply for the work permit I am expecting no problems. Watch this space!

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>